Saturday, December 7, 2019 · 12:30 – 5 p.m.
Are you the queen of collage? The king of found objects? Can you turn a vinyl banner into a beautiful bracelet and a broken camera into a lamp? Then show off your skills at this fun Creative Reuse challenge! We’re looking for highly skilled creative people who can think on their feet for this live competition to take place during our 3rd annual Holiday Art Market. Artists can work in any media they choose, but since this is a Creative Reuse Challenge, you are highly encouraged to use unexpected materials in unexpected ways.
- Location: Brushwood Center at Ryerson Woods, 21850 N. Riverwoods Rd., Riverwoods, IL 60015
- Enter the Semi-Finals: Artists wishing to apply should complete the application and upload a photo of their Semi-Final entry no later than November 3, 2019. Your entry must fit the theme: Keeping Warm. Choice of materials, style, and interpretation of that theme is up to you!
- Notification of Finalists: Friday, November 8, 2019
- The Finals:The live final competition will take place on the afternoon of December 7th, during the Holiday Art Market at Brushwood Center. The three finalists will be given the theme of the final challenge at the start of the competition. Each will have access to a wide variety of supplies and tools from the Brushwood Art Supply Exchange (BASE) and the BASE tool library. Contestants are also welcome to bring with them one box of their favorite supplies and tools to use (each person’s personal supply stash must not exceed the size of one standard shoe box). Since the finals are held indoors in winter, power tool use for the challenge is limited to small hand tools from the BASE tool library. Contestants will have 3 ½ hours to complete their challenge. At the end of the Challenge, the finished work will be evaluated by a panel of judges and the winner will receive a $250 prize, free supplies of their choosing from BASE, a one-of-a-kind trophy, and the title of 2019 BASE UpCycling Champion!
- Prize: $250
- Enrty Fee: There is no fee to apply or participate. All work created that day as part of the final challenge will be auctioned off to benefit Brushwood Center.
About BASE and Brushwood Center at Ryerson Woods
The Brushwood Art Supply Exchange (BASE) is a place where unwanted art supplies find new life. We are a source of low-cost art materials of all kinds with opportunities for free supplies to educators and community partners. From professionals and educators to students, families and the simply craft-curious, we serve all levels of artists and offer low-risk opportunities to be creative. Click here for more information about BASE.
Call for Art
Want to show your work at the Holiday Art Market? Click here for information.